[Rigf_program] Further topic for the Tokyo agenda

Wu Kuo kuoweiwu at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:41:24 HKT 2012

It is a great news. We should welcome anyone who are interested in this issue since it is very critical now. Let me try to explain why?

1. As people followed the history of Internet governance, ITU and some countries actually try very hard to put internet under UN control (such as WSIS 2000~2005). And the outcome of WSIS is "UN/IGF". For ITU and those countries, they are not satisfied with the result form WSIS (PenHwa, Izumi, and many of us know the story).

2. When UN/IGF in process (from 2006,..), ITU and those countries continue their effort to make the influence to "Internet Community" under certain control (and we know which organization eager to have the right). If I remembered, the UN representative said in Egypt meeting "I don't understand why you continue to talk, talk, talk, but not develop "solution"". Unfortunately, his talk was not be appreciated in general. At the last day of the meeting, only two (more than 80+) on stage to support his asking. People insisted "IGF is a forum to exchange idea and sharing experience, not to make solution or decision". The he didn't show up at Vilnius meeting. And IGF continue to operate from 2011 to 2015.

3. Now, ITU and those countries try to create another "battlefield" which is ITU's event - WCIT. They try to use the ITU "antiquated diplomatic rituals" (as Economist said) to play their game. Once the "battlefield" move from IGF to WCIT, the multi-stakerholder mechanism will not work. ITU strictly play "delegate system" which means "we have no say" (we include - industry, academic, consumer, civil society,…).

So if more people willing to join this session, we should welcome them. That is my point. Hopefully, we agree.

Kuo Wu

Yoshihiro Obata 於 2012/5/15 下午2:48 寫道: