[Rigf_program] public call for comments, APrIGF 2013

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Mar 12 11:15:52 HKT 2013

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I can make Friday's call, it's around the time I need
to catch a train.  But a couple of things concerning me about progress
and mainly process so far.

We had some lengthy discussions following last years APrIGF and the
IGF in Baku about organizing the APrIGF, particularly opening the
process, ensuring it was more inclusive, transparent and accountable
to the region's stakeholders.  Unless I'm much mistaken, we now seem
to be proceeding much the same as the previous 3 years.

I suggest we hold for a while on developing the agenda further and put
out for public comment what we have so far:

Location and dates of the meeting.  Support received so far.  An
outline of what the meeting might look like, i.e. a blank schedule, to
show plenary and concurrent sessions.  I want to be clear, I think our
Korean hosts are doing a great job.  These comments are *not*
criticism, *not* intended as negative.

I suggest we issue a public call to help convene the meeting.  The
call can mirror the global IGF process, ask for ideas for an overall
theme for main sessions (how many can there be?) and ideas for
sub-themes (how many can there be?).  At the same time, reasonable to
include all the themes already suggested.

Set a date for submitting comments.  Each of us should outreach to our
respective networks and contacts to make sure the call for comments is
widely seen.  Someone should be responsible for contacting the
Indonesian IGF team (I met them in Paris, happy to introduce if
necessary.)

If we don't do this I'm concerned we are going to again face
criticism, probably more severe than before.

Best,

Adam