[Rigf_program] operating principles, proposed text on quorum etc

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 16:31:54 HKT 2013

The word steering does raise a concern and is a question of legitimacy.

As an individual and volunteer, it causes me no personal discomfort to go
with MSG but from the political view of things, it causes me deep concern
that once governments are invited to participate beyond how they are doing
at the moment, (i have been gathering the feeling of reluctance and doing
it for the sake of it so that they are not left out),  steering is a third
party or a power group.

How do we make such a group accountable and transparent beyond the remit of
mailing lists is a challenge and the name choice is a rational issue. We
can all steer but the legitimacy to do so is also being define by ourselves
and not a multistakeholder group in reality. This should be somehow kept in
mind from the very beginning.

Let me share an example, it may be a point of concern that some potential
members of the proposed MSG have been able to fund themselves and
participate in apnic or apstar occasions to discuss the APrIGF possibility
but this leaves out a majority of those who do not have access to such
venues or meetings. If this is the group that gives direction and
leadership to MSG in the near future, the polity of the group will always
be questioned. For example, who will comprise the MSG, how will the process
be carried out and by whom, how will transparency be ensured etc. So there
are a lot of issues here that will gradually evolve and have also come up
in the past.

Best

--
Regards.