[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] New gTLD session

Edmon Chung edmon at registry.asia
Wed May 9 08:50:38 HKT 2012

Hi Everyone,

As discussed in our meeting last week, please find below my suggestion for the New gTLD session:

Introduction of Many New gTLDs bring multi-faceted impact to the Internet and DNS ecosystem:
1. Commercial / Economical Impact of New gTLDs: IPR Community, Domain Investment, Search Engines & other Internet Services
2. Social / Developmental Impacts of New gTLDs: Community & IDN gTLDs, and beneficiary communities
3. Impact on Internet Governance at ICANN: the US$350+ Million Fund & Governance Challenges at ICANN

The panel will discuss the impact and challenges of the introduction of many new gTLDs within a relatively short period of time to the domain industry, the governance at ICANN and implications to other parts of the Internet ecosystem.

Proposed/Target panellists (the following would be more than what we probably should have on one panel, lets discuss further at our meeting today):

Registry Solutions:
	- Ram Mohan, Afilias
	- Hirokatsu Ohigashi, GMO
	- Adrian Kinderis, AusRegistry

IPR:
	- Lucas Vall, Brights
	- Janna Lam, IP Mirror
	- Bruce Tonkin, Melbourne IT
	- Brand owner (Canon / Aigo / Starhub / etc.)

Social / Development perspectives:
	- Leo Yu, CONAC
	- Cheney Cheng, DotKids
	- Rafik Dammak, Co-Chair of JAS
	- Cheryl Langdon-Orr, At-Large

ICANN/IG:
	- ICANN representative
	- APNIC
	- Asia Internet Coalition (eBay, Google, Nokia, Skype and Yahoo)

Government:
	- Lim Choon Sai, SGNIC, GAC Vice Chair
	- Tokyo City Government
	- Taipei City Government