[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] getting started for APrIGF 2012

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Tue Mar 13 04:47:54 HKT 2012

One of the challenges of IGF is to be developing themes and discussions over time, in a way that builds the IGF results and value from one year to the next.  I think it's important to see this as a cycle, with feedback loops between successive events, and between regional and global events.  So in planning for APrIGF, let's look at the inputs and outputs which form this information flow between events.

On the input side for APrIGF, we can consider the proceedings of the previous regional and global events, which could help to form the themes of the next regional event, and which should also (I suggest) be reported into the event, eg in "setting the scene".   If the themes for the coming global IGF are established, then I agree these should also be considered, but they should not constrain the scope of our own meeting.

On the output side, we need to produce results which represent what is most important for the AP region, to be fed into the global IGF (regardless of what its chosen themes are).  This can happen in the regional IGF recap/review sessions, but it would also be great if a regional event could result in specific workshop proposals which reflect specific regional priorities.  Possible examples from the AP region might include more on disaster recovery, and also possibly something about the impacts and management of massive network growth which is being seen more in this region than anywhere else.

Hope that's helpful.

Paul.