[Rigf_program] continuation of APrIGF work

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Aug 9 21:27:04 HKT 2012

Friends,

Please excuse my much-delayed response. The APrIGF was the end of the 4th
week I was away from office. I was just 4 days in Singapore in July and
mostly over the weekends. So I returned from Tokyo to a pile a paperwork
and then had to go to Manila this Sunday. I left on Tuesday when the water
was waist high in some parts. In short, I am giving excuses for the tardy
response. The other reason is that I have yet to find out what Edmon has
been eating that gives him the amazing energy. I was just beat after Tokyo.

I will be at the APNIC meeting in Phnom Penh for the entire week. May I
propose, with Kuo-Wei, a f2f meeting with those who will be there to
address the bunch of issues raised then? We could do a Skype conference
call as well.

My suggestion is to draft a document to address those issues raised with a
view to improving the process of convening the APrIGF.

Edmon,
I think the monthly conference call may be too much at this point. We
should have something to work with, so I propose coming out with a draft
document at the APNIC meeting.

Everything will be draft and we should invite comments before firming the
document.

Izumi,
I will reply to the questions raised by Parminder tomorrow. You should not
have to feel defensive. You have done the most in advocating and reminding
us to be inclusive, open and transparent. Any suggestion otherwise is
unwarranted.

Regards,
Peng Hwa

On 27/7/12 9:41 AM, "Izumi AIZU" <iza at anr.org> wrote:

>I also like to join to thank and congratulate, especially to the people
>who
>devoted much energy, time, resources and intelligence.
>
>I agree with most observations already mentioned here.
>To add, for the improvements,
>
>Need to establish/expose "multi-stakeholder" organization of the event.
>Need to make it "open" in terms of organizational area.
>As you might know some "legitimacy" question was sent. Though I do not
>agree with the allegation, in the wide and diverse Asia Pacific
>region, there is always some danger that some people may challenge our
>legitimacy.
>
>To deal with that,
>a) Open and transparent process for the next host is very important.
>b) Involvement of multi-stakeholder groups in the organizing process
>is also necessary.
>c) As I already suggested, place "About APrIGF" to explain clearly who
>we are, etc. Maybe a kind of open and formal process for various
>entities (such as APIA, APNIC, APTLD, JAIPA, dotAsia, etc) to be
>designated as organizing bodies, on a regular basis, and ask others to
>join, with some mutually agreed upon qualifications. Individuals also
>can join this with some process, too.
>
>Establish preparatory process with time-lines.
>It depends on when we will have next APrIGF, but say, open call
>published 4 months ahead, close 3.5 months ahead, etc.
>
>Feedback from participants, online, for example, may be good idea for
>the next time.
>
>Another, maybe minor, tool can be - make a mailing list shared by
>(agreed) participants in advance that can be used for announcing last
>minute changes, providing important notices etc.
>
>Group and/or Page on Facebook may work, subject to discussion.
>
>Just my thoughts.
>
>izumi
>

>2012/7/27 Edmon Chung <edmon at registry.asia>:
>> That is a good idea.  In the first APrIGF, we did a survey and
>>collected some good input.  This time, I think perhaps we can start with
>>a round of thoughts from this program committee first?...
>>
>> Perhaps if everyone can put in some thoughts (even unstructured) to
>>this email thread:
>>
>> 1. Good and should be continued/expanded
>> - open call for workshops (outside of program committee)
>> - inclusion of locally relevant topics to attract local audience (and
>>spark interest from regional audience)
>> - simultaneous interpretation for sessions
>> - integration of YIGF Camp, especially reporting session into APrIGF
>> - local secretariat + regional secretariat coordination
>>
>> 2. Needs improvement
>> - remote participation (ability to take questions / interact with
>>remote participants)
>> - diversity and multistakeholder participation at each panel
>> - pc/msg processes
>> - earlier preparations
>> - coordination with national/subregional IGFs (including in preparation
>>and follow up stages)
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY:This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged.If you are not the intended recipient,please delete it,notify us and do not copy,use,or disclose its content.

Towards A Sustainable Earth:Print Only When Necessary.Thank you.