[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] Summary Report and Proposal (2) from APrIGF Local Host to MSG

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Sat Apr 28 22:36:24 HKT 2012

Dear all,

Here follows is our Summary Report and Proposal (2), reflecting our discussion
held on Apr 27 in Tokyo.

We hope these will make things clearer and advance the work ahead.
We welcome your comments, suggestions and counter-proposals very much.

izumi (on their behalf as "liaison")

-----------
Summary Report and Proposal (2)
from APrIGF Local Host to MSG

April 28, 2012

We had our local team meeting yesterday. Here follows and the files
attached are our summary report and proposals.

1. ORGANIZATION/Logistics

1) Local Steering Group (JP-SG)
First, we like to report that Local Steering Group shall be formally
established around the end of May. It should have been done well
before, but circumstances prevented that from happening. We are aware
of some delay in work progress and will do our best to catch up.

We plan to elect Mr. Takeo Watanabe, Chairman of JAIPA, as the Chair
of JP-SG and will have a few Vice Chairs to be decided later. Mr
Toshiaki Tateishi, Vice Chair of JAIPA, as Secretary for JP-SG. We
also like to nominate Adam Peake as the Liaison from JP-SG since he
has extensive experience of organizing global and regional IGFs.
We will work on logistics issues and provide pragmatic information shortly.

2) Letter of Request
We like our Chair and the host of APrIGF in Singapore, PengHwa
together with the past host of Hong Kong, Edmon, to prepare a joint
letter addressed to the Chairman of JAIPA, Mr. Taketsune Watanabe, to
pass the baton by formally requesting to organize the APrIGF, on
behalf of the AP IGF community, reflecting the decision at the last
AP* Retreat in India in February.

3) MSG
We support Ms. Hong Xue to become the Vice Chair of MSG as indicated
by the Chair.
We will forward the name of another Vice Chair from Japan shortly.
We like to ask DotAsia headed by Edmon to be the Secretary for AP MSG.
We like to nominate Izumi Aizu to be the Liaison person at MSG to
liaise with global IGF and local works since he is now a member of
MAG.

4) Division of Labor
We propose to share the tasks in the following manner; willing to
listen to your response to reach mutual agreement.

AP MSG will
-	Manage the overall operation and coordination for the third APrIGF
maintaining the integrity and continuity of APrIGF.
-	Make final decision on the program
-	Manage speaker selection and session coordination with track chairs
-	Execute out-reach to bring as many people from Asia Pacific and
other regions, including the management of the official website in
English
-	Help JP-SG for their fund-raising, with the focus on potential
donors and supporting organizations in the Asia Pacific and other
global regions.

JP-SG will
-	Manage the local organizational works with main focus on logistics
and government relations with MIC of Japan.
-	Raise sufficient funding with corporate and other sponsors with the
focus on domestic sponsors.
-	Handle local logistics including the venue, staff, and other
resource management.
-	Handle material preparation such as printed and/or digital program
and other hand-outs.
-	Provide sufficient information material on suggested hotels, visa
process and other travel related matters to APMSG.
-	Execute out-reach targeting Japanese organizations and participants
including the preparation of local website in Japanese.

2. PROGRAM/Substance

1) Call for Participation
We ask MSG to prepare and publish a formal “Call for Participation”
openly through various channels as soon as possible. The call will be
closed within three weeks, then evaluated by select members of MSG to
reach final decision by the end of May.

2) Plenary and Sessions
We propose to have “Plenary” and “Sessions” where no sessions are
scheduled simultaneously when Plenary meetings are held.
Sessions can be classified as Main Session and Parallel Sessions if so needed.

5) Tracks with Themes
We agree to the proposed Tracks with the following themes
-	Security, Openness and Privacy (SOP)
-	Critical Internet Resources (CIR)
-	Emerging Issues (EI)
-	Internet Governance for Development (IG4D)
-	And may have “General” tracks that deals with themes not fallen into
the above.

We propose to have Chair (s) for each track and nominate Izumi Aizu
for EI Track with a focus on Disaster management and Takashi Kimura
for SOP with a focus on protecting children online.

>From Japanese side, we like to have first Plenary as “Internet for
Disaster Relief and Restoration: 1) Overview” followed by the Session
“Internet for Disaster Relief and Restoration: 2) Reports from the
Local Governments on ICT and Restoration works” on the first day, July
18.

We are offered an optional “Tohoku Study Tour and Conference” by
Information Support pro bono Platform (iSPP), an independent
non-profit group, to bring participants to the devastated areas of
Tohoku hit by East Japan Great Earthquake last year, to see the actual
sites, hear from local people and learn and share their experience
with some focus on ongoing current restoration works using Internet
and ICT.
It will be held on July 21-22 immediately after APrIGF.

Details are in the attached files.

END