[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] Operating Framework for PC

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Apr 17 09:05:20 HKT 2012

Miwa and all,

Thank you for the very constructive suggestion and responses. Yes, it
may be a good idea to have interactive session throughout with one
consistent theme.

One topic I can suggest is the "improvement" of the IGF, with the
focus, perhaps, the linkage between national, regional and global IGF
- how to enhance that. This might be a bit narrow, however.

Another, more substantive theme can be Internet Right, or Internet
Principles including, but not limited to the free flow of information.

I am hesitant to make an "exclusive" meeting on important themes,
however. IGF's basic principle is openness and multi-stakeholder.

As for the thematic sessions, Disaster Communication is somehow put
into "Emerging Issues", so I suggest we follow this framework,
perhaps. I am happy to be the coordinator for that.

For your reference, here is the link for the Final Report of the CSTD
WG on IGF improvement, as I was one of the members.

http://www.unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/a67d65_en.pdf

I had attached the file, but this list limits the volume within 40 kb
and thus returned as pending.

MAG renewal will be announced shortly.

best,

2012/4/17 Yoshihiro Obata <obatayoshihiro at eaccess.net>:
> [...]
> Yoshihiro Obata
>

> (2012/04/17 1:26), Miwa Kubosaki wrote:
>>
>> Hello Prof. Peng Hwa&  Izumi-san et al.,
>>
>> Thank you for moving things forward. One thing I would like to suggest for
>> the agenda is to allow some time allocated for interactive discussion across
>> the three days. Perhaps, less number of presentations in each session, but
>> more time not merely for Q&  A but say, break-out session, group discussion
>> that can report back to the entire audience. In this way, participants will
>> have some chances to discuss ongoing&  emerging issues face-to-face.
>>

>> I see that following, though with some flexibility, the themes set for
>> global IGF in Baku would probably help us streamline our thinking towards
>> the agenda.
>>
>> In terms of session speakers, chair etc., let me discuss with my
>> colleagues&  regional partners and come back to you, hopefully  by mid-next
>> week. I hope that this works.
>>

>> I also wanted to quickly share with you that I have been in touch with the
>> UN independent expert, Frank La Rue (UN special rapporteur on Freedom of
>> Expression and Opinion) to see if he could attend APrIGF for the first time.
>> Nothing is confirmed at this moment, but as you may know, he has published a
>> report on Internet rights last year that was well received around the world,
>> and he has attended global IGFs at least for the past two-three years or
>> longer. I will keep you posted whether Frank can come or not.
>>
>> I have also been in touch with some diplomatic missions in SE Asia to see
>> if they or their colleagues can come attend APrIGF. This goes the same for
>> some relevant UN missions in the region.
>>
>> I think these are it for now.
>>
>> Thanks everyone,
>> Miwa
>>
>> On Apr 10, 2012, at 1:11 AM, "Ang Peng Hwa
>> (Prof)"<TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg<mailto:TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg>>  wrote:
>>
>> Obata-san,
>>
>> Thank you for asking that question.
>>
>> The IGF themes should be taken as a guide. We used them in our APrIGF 1
>> and I thought that was fine for a start. But for APrIGF 2 last year, we more
>> or less abandoned that and went with issues that we thought we should
>> address. Last year, disaster relief and the Arab Spring were just too much
>> to ignore.
>>
>> I think that we should address issues that we consider to be significant
>> in the AP region. Eg IPv6 transition is a major issue. APNIC has run out of
>> IPv4 addresses but much of the content and equipment are only v4 compatible.
>>
>> The disaster relief theme, which was in the smallest parallel session
>> (smallest by attendance) has got the most legs and the proposal is for it to
>> be upgraded to a plenary. Personally, I pleased with that because it means
>> the PC spotted and nurtured (with the help of the organiser Izumi) a
>> significant issue.
>>
>> Having said that, the IGF themes are elastic: they can be stretched to
>> cover most if not all issues we can think of.

>>> discussion. Let us hear your comments and hope to reach consensus

--
                        >> Izumi Aizu <<
                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *