[Rigf_program] Apologies for not being able to attend

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Sep 3 20:51:53 HKT 2013

Dear friends,

I write to apologize for my absence from the APrIGF. This is an unexpected development when I was voted in as Chair last year.

As you know, I have been a keen supporter of the meeting right from its inception. But of late, I have been having some internal battles within my University. Because of some leadership changes, the University is determined to rise in its ranking. And it has been successful.  The most direct contribution to the KPIs (key performance indicators) that would benefit a university's ranking, is to publish in academic journals that are widely read by the academic community. The APrIGF is, at best, seen as a form of service to the larger community.

Meanwhile, I am now in India, at the Infosys campus (it's humongous yet immaculate) at Mysore, a city south of Bangalore. It's a slightly more academic programme on capacity building in research. (The previous presentation included a couple of equations.) Regrettably, there is a clash in the meeting dates, as the dates for this were set early this year.

I thank everyone who has stepped up when I just could not be more active. All members of the Programme Committee have been outstanding in this regard. Paul deserves special mention. So do Edmon and the dotAsia secretariat. It is a strong and interesting programme that has emerged.

Be assured that I will aim to support the APrIGF as best I can. This year, I have sent a PhD student I am supervising to help compile the report. She is proposing to work on Internet governance for her dissertation.

I wish the APrIGF every success. With the strong support from the Korean government, I am sure that it will do well to raise significant issues for discussion. I will aim to catch the early morning sessions when I can.

Regards,
Peng Hwa ANG
[cid:35AC051D-C0D2-4B9B-8763-B53538700D67]ANG Peng Hwa (Professor) | Director, Singapore Internet Research Centre | Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information | Nanyang Technological University | WKWSCI 02-17, 31 Nanyang Link, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 67906109 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6792-7526 | Web: www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/sirc<http://www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/sirc>

CONFIDENTIALITY:This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged.If you are not the intended recipient,please delete it,notify us and do not copy,use,or disclose its content.

Towards A Sustainable Earth:Print Only When Necessary.Thank you.