[Rigf_program] Definition of 'AP region'

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Mar 29 01:42:29 HKT 2013

Thanks Adam,

I think the reason for this was that we were aware of the establishment
of the Arab IGF and their initial meeting which was held last year, so
the APNIC defined region gave a pretty clear boundary...

One of the issues we have in this regard is that under the ICANN ccNSO
rules is that the Pacific Islands like American Samoa are considered to
be part of North America, and Tahiti and New Caledonia are considered to
be part of Europe. Yet they distinctly are Pacific Islands. And so in
organising our sub-regional PacificIGF, I had wanted to avoid these odd
demarcation lines and use the geographic location as the determinant
factor in deciding what the sub-region was. Again, I think the APNIC
regional boundaries are better than the ICANN ccNSO politically
motivated boundaries.

Just incidentally, APTLD has a fluid option, allowing countries who are
on the immediate border of the ICANN ccNSO defined AP region to choose
to belong to APTLD or elsewhere - so it is possible that USA / Canada /
Central and Southern Americas countries who have borders in the Pacific
ocean etc could choose to belong to APTLD.

Maybe we could apply the same flexibility to our approach for the
APrIGF? It would seem preferable to allow the greatest amount of
flexibility of choice for individual countries and territories to opt in
or opt out of participation?

Cheers

Keith