[Rigf_program] [May 31 (Thur) 11:00am UTC+8] Reminder APrIGF Teleconference & Proposals

Yoshihiro Obata obatayoshihiro at eaccess.net
Thu May 31 10:24:47 HKT 2012

Dear all,

   I am a little confused with the mailing lists for the program but
anyway I will send to both.

   I have managed to get the content for a couple of proposals and also
some new proposals.  I am sorry for my very late response just before
the teleconference.

1. Cloud computing
Topic: Industry Forum: Global Cloud Computing and its challenges

countries, and its "data" spans over different jurisdictional
boundaries. The "data" is often regulated under specific country, but
different country has different regulatory systems over different
cultural context.  New technologies created difficult problems to solve
between risks and safety.
Japan and US government agreed to develop a U.S.-Japan Cloud Computing
Working Group, which will convene around fall 2012 after identifying key
policy issues based on views expressed by U.S. and Japanese industry.
Global and regional IGF activities might be a place to discuss similar
issues under a multi-stakeholder and global environment.
This session aims to pose (1) the issues of Cloud Services who
owns/purchase, (2) what concept to use for a resolution, and (3) the
"ask" from industries for Governments.

Presentation: Tomizawa (Microsoft), End user (TBD), Cloud/Data Center
Provider(Fujitsu), Regulator (MIC)
Panel Speakers: Tomizawa (facilitator), End user (TBD), Cloud/Data
Center Provider(Fujitsu), Regulator (MIC), one or two volunteer panelist
from APrIGF

2. Cyber Security (no room allocation yet)
Topic:  Cyber Security Challenges and Solutions for Asia
**
Moderator:  Professor Jim Foster, Graduate School of Media and
Governance, Keio University
Proposed Panelists :*all presenters under coordination**(must not put
name on the web site at this moment)*
Jim Arrington, Vice President, Boeing Japan
Mark Staples, Country Manager, Lockheed Martin Japan
Masakazu Takahashi, Chief Security Officer, Microsoft Japan
Jun Takei, Global Public Policy Director, Intel Japan
Jason Nye, Director of Research, Avascent International

Overview and Objectives
The unprecedented expansion of cyberspace has brought growth and
prosperity to the global economy.  The annual global economic benefits
of the commercial Internet come to over 1.4 trillion dollars.  However,
the growth of cyberspace has also presented unfriendly governments and
criminal elements with new tools and opportunities for threatening
security.  Cyberspace will continue to advance if interoperability,
openness, stability, and risk-based security measures guide its
development.  But this requires a policy environment that can assure
security while maintaining the overall economic benefits of cyberspace.
The panel will draw on experts from the ICT and defense industries,
academia and the consulting field to address and discuss the following
issues:
The private sector owns and operates most of cyberspace.  Industry is
already working together in a variety of ways to protect cyberspace.
For example, in the US, companies are working closely with the US
Department of Homeland Security to protect critical infrastructure.
They are also cooperating with the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) to provide input into NIST security standards and
guidelines for non-classified computers systems.  What should Asian
governments be doing to strengthen cooperation with and among industry
in the region on cyber security concerns?
Government policies on cyber security should be consistent with global
standards and best practices.  Effective security measures need to be
deployed across the entire global digital infrastructure.  This improves
interoperability, uses available resources efficiently and assures
compliance with WTO rules against discrimination in procurement.  US
firms are currently working with the US Department of Defense through
the Trusted Technology Forum to support global industry-led standards.
How can Asian governments develop a similar process in the region?
Cyberspace technologies change constantly and devices connecting to
cyberspace are continuously upgraded and updated.  This requires a
layered approach to information security where measures are updated by
security experts around the globe on a real-time basis as threats
evolve.  It also requires a major financial commitment from industry and
government.  The top ICT companies in the US currently spend about 30
billion dollars annually on research and development related to cyber
security.  What level of commitment are Asian nations ready to make to
share information on the cyber threat?
No sector of the economy can be 100 percent secure.  Asian governments
and industry must work together to identify, assess and manage risk.
Cyber security should be a part of an overall risk management framework,
incorporating technology, people and processes.  Major US ICT companies
build risk management into their ongoing daily operations through legal
and contractual agreements, cyber security operational controls,
adherence to global risk management standards and many other practices.
How can Asian governments and industry build risk management into their
approaches on cyber security?
Cyber security stakeholders are often unaware of the range of tools
available to them to do so, such as risk management models, training,
and globally accepted standards and guidelines.  Strengthening the base
of knowledge in Asian countries about cyber security threats is critical
to improving cyber security.  US firms are currently working through the
National Cyber Security Alliance to expand cyber security education and
awareness among industry and individual citizens.  What more can be done
to build greater awareness about the cyber security threat and means to
deal with it in Asia?
Cyberspace with its global connectivity poses considerable challenges to
those charged with protecting it.  However, cyber threats fundamentally
are not different from the threats found in the off-line world. In the
US, both traditional government agencies and new organizations are
responding to the threat.  The FBI and Secret Service are tasked with
protecting critical infrastructure; the US Customs investigates threats
to intellectual property, money laundering and identity; and the FTC.
What frameworks are available in Asia; what additional resources are
needed?

3. New topic-1 (possibly  B2: 11:30-13:00 on 19th)
Topic: The evolving Internet ecosystem:  A two-sided market?

There's been increased interest in the functioning of "two-sided"
markets online in the US and Europe, but it has yet to become an issue
in APAC. Economists globally have been increasingly interested in recent
years in "two-sided markets," cases where economic platforms having two
distinct user groups that provide each other with network benefits.
Sufficient subscription from both sides of the market ensure the
combined network effects make for a sustainable market.  Free-to-air
broadcast television is often given as one example, where the television
network intermediates between advertisers and viewers; credit card
systems are another, intermediating between merchants and consumers. The
flow of payments in these two-sided markets can sometimes be quite
different from those in conventional markets, as a means of achieving
the levels of participation in the market.  This workshop will consider:

..    Should the Internet ecosystem be viewed as a form of two-sided
market, with network operators / ISPs collectively intermediating
between content providers and consumers?
..    In what ways does the Internet differ from other two-sided
platforms? In what ways is it similar?
..    How might a change in the level of any of these payments alter
levels of participation?
..    What economic consequences might flow from changes in the level of
payments and participation in the market? What social consequences might
follow (for example, as regards innovation or free speech)?

A diverse international panel of stakeholders will consider these issues
from a wide range of perspectives.

Names and affiliations of possible panelists:
*all presenters under coordination (must not put name on the web site at
this moment)*
..    Mr Fouad Bajwa, ISOC Pakistan
..    Pablo Hinojosa, APNIC
..    Julian Vincent, Malaysia ISOC Chapter President
..    Holly Raiche, ISOC Australia; Vice Chair, APRALO, ICANN

Moderator:
..    Mr Iarla Flynn, Head of Public Policy & Government Affairs, Google
Australia & New Zealand OR Mr Patrick Ryan, Policy Counsel, Open
Internet, Google

4. WCIT/IPR
The Future of Internet Governance and the Internet in Asia Pacific:

Description of the proposed workshop:
The Internet is a vital strategic communications infrastructure for the
Asia Pacific region, and so the future evolution of the Internet is a
hugely important policy issue for individuals, business and government
alike across the region. The region is the most  diverse and dynamic in
the world and the formulation of a unified and coherent regional view on
such an important policy issue is very challenging.  With internet
governance becoming increasingly important, efforts are underway by some
countries in Asia Pacific and elsewhere to change the nature of internet
governance; moving from a relatively open multi-stakeholder model to a
more closed, government led system of governance. What is the best
evolution Internet governance path for Internet users of Asia Pacific to
follow?  This workshop will discuss the competing paths currently under
discussion and seek to offer delegates a comprehensive understanding of
the issues.

Names and affiliations of possible panelists:
*all presenters under coordination (must not put name on the web site at
this moment)*
..    Mr Hasanul Aaq Inu, Parliamentarian, Bangladesh
..    Toru Nakaya, Director, International Policy Division, Global ICT
Strategy Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC),
Japan
..    Sunil Abraham, Center for Internet & Society, India
..    Frank March, Internet New Zealand (Domain Registry Association)

Moderator:
..    Robert Guerra, Internet Governance Consultant

5. Child protection (*we would like to exchange M4 and M5 due to
presenter's availability*)
topic: Protection of Children from Crimes on the Internet
   There has been extensive amount of activities in Japan to protect
children from harmful actions on the Internet.  The study to protect
children from getting their pictures circulated in an uncontrollable
manner has resulted in the Internet Content Safety Association and its
operation that cooperates with ISPs to filter child pornography.  An
activity to mainly protect children from downloading harmful content
from the Internet to their mobile terminals was studied mainly by Anshin
Netzukuri Council.  All of the work was carefully done by getting
support from various communities and organizations.  This session will
have presentation from the people involved in these activities and the
panel will discuss various issues related to child protection.

presentation
1.    Situation of child pornography blocking in Japan
       Report from ICSA (Internet Content Safety Association)
By Mr. Susumu Yoshida, secretariat of ICSA

2.    Protection of children from illegal and harmful content on the
Internet
(On the situation of Internet content filtering)
       Report from EMA (Content Evaluation and Monitoring Association)
of Japan
By Ms. Shino Uenuma, Director General, Anshin Netzukuri Council

3.    Situation of child pornography blocking by ISP from the research
and survey
(The difficulties of the balance between Freedom of expression and child
protection)
How and why child pornography blocking is authorized to the ISP's
obligation of confidentiality of communication.
      By Mr. Ryoji Mori, lawyer

panel
moderator: Takashi Kimura (JAIPA)
panelists: Susumu Yoshida, Shino Uenuma, Ryoji Mori

6. Cloud Computing and its operation (new topic, no room allocation yet)
no content yet
this will be proposed soon

7. ILO and protection of children from labor related issues on the
Internet (new topic, no room allocation yet)
no content yet
this will be proposed soon

Yoshihiro Obata