[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] Conference Call: Friday May 4, 2012

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue May 8 15:02:05 HKT 2012

Hi all.

Hong, sorry, as I mentioned I'd tried not to touch the substance of the
section you mentioned, not an expert and thought you might send some text.
 However, how's this:

Meanwhile, the borderless nature of the Internet and the potential
extra-territorial impact of domestic legislative action was highlighted
earlier this year when the U.S. proposed tough laws aimed at preventing the
theft of copyright materials online; laws which would have made Internet
users world-wide vulnerable to U.S. law. The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)
and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) were proposed, but action
by citizens and businesses stopped them becoming law. Some are now
concerned that new domestic legislation, such as the U.S. Cyber
Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) and international
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) may have a similar global impact.

(it's a bit of a clumsy read)

Thanks,

Adam