[Rigf_secretariat] [Rigf_program] Operating Framework for PC

Miwa Kubosaki kubosaki at freedomhouse.org
Tue Apr 17 00:26:25 HKT 2012

Hello Prof. Peng Hwa & Izumi-san et al.,

Thank you for moving things forward. One thing I would like to suggest for the agenda is to allow some time allocated for interactive discussion across the three days. Perhaps, less number of presentations in each session, but more time not merely for Q & A but say, break-out session, group discussion that can report back to the entire audience. In this way, participants will have some chances to discuss ongoing & emerging issues face-to-face.

I see that following, though with some flexibility, the themes set for global IGF in Baku would probably help us streamline our thinking towards the agenda.

In terms of session speakers, chair etc., let me discuss with my colleagues & regional partners and come back to you, hopefully  by mid-next week. I hope that this works.

I also wanted to quickly share with you that I have been in touch with the UN independent expert, Frank La Rue (UN special rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Opinion) to see if he could attend APrIGF for the first time. Nothing is confirmed at this moment, but as you may know, he has published a report on Internet rights last year that was well received around the world, and he has attended global IGFs at least for the past two-three years or longer. I will keep you posted whether Frank can come or not.

I have also been in touch with some diplomatic missions in SE Asia to see if they or their colleagues can come attend APrIGF. This goes the same for some relevant UN missions in the region.

I think these are it for now.

Thanks everyone,
Miwa